Feeling frisky are ya? Well, go for it little mamma because sex is fine if you’re having a normal pregnancy. Normal meaning you’re considered low-risk for complications such as miscarriage or pre-term labor.
It won’t hurt the baby (it’s pretty padded in there) and an orgasm won’t trigger labour.
That said, just because you can, doesn’t mean you’ll want to. Not everyone feels like Heidi Klum when they’re pregnant so if you’re looking for an out, here are the legitimate reasons doctors advise against intercourse during pregnancy:
- history of miscarriage
- history of pre-term labor
- ruptured membranes (your water has broken)
- unexplained vaginal bleeding or abnormal discharge
- leakage of amniotic fluid
- dilated cervix
- placenta previa, a condition in which the placenta is situated down so low that it covers the cervix
- incompetent cervix, a condition in which the cervix is weakened and dilates prematurely although, I think they could have come up with a nicer name for it
- multiple fetuses (Maybe don’t lie about this one if you’re trying to get out of sex. I’m guessing you’ll get called on it at some point.)
- premature labor in this pregnancy (even if it has stopped)
- an outbreak of genital herpes.
So what if you’re good to go but your partner is a little less interested these days? Well, if it makes you feel any better, you aren’t alone. Tons of fellas are worried they are going to knock something loose, hurt the baby or hurt you so they steer clear. Plus, you are the mother of his child now, not the dirty girl that does that thing he likes with your pinky finger, so it may be a bit of an adjustment for him to get in the swing of it.
As for you Dads, I recognize that this is a really tricky time. This rockin’ hot woman is morphing into the beautiful mother of you child and sometimes it’s difficult to get in the mood. A baby is involved now. A baby! How can you do dirty things to your baby’s mother?
I’ll tell you how. You damn well think of something because this is your moment, buddy. This is when the woman you love wants to feel sexy, and beautiful, and wanted, so you make that shit happen. You tell her she looks incredible and that you want her just as much as you always have. Don’t tell her that you want her no matter what she looks like – “Luke, it’s a trap!” – because that will be deciphered as her looking not good.
If she’s not in the mood, cut her some slack. It really hard to some women to feel sexy when they’re bloated with sore boobs and a big belly. You get that, right? Don’t be that guy that pressures a pregnant woman or new mother into sex –everybody hates that guy. It’s a drag but it will come back, I promise.
There. You won’t find that kind of advice on the other pregnancy sites, will ya?
search: sex and pregnancy, sex dangerous during pregancy