Updated 3/14/2018, 3/23/2018, 4/3/2018
It’s official. Toys “R” Us will close or sell all 800 of their US stores, as well as their UK division.
News that the retail giant was filing for bankruptcy first broke in September of 2017, but it wasn’t until recently that the full picture of what this means started to come into focus.
Here’s what you Need to Know About the Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us Closures:
All stores are expected to either be closed or sold, with liquidation sales beginning 3/23/2018.
All in-store events have been canceled.
The web stores for both Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us have been shut down. Orders placed before 3/29/2018 will be processed as normal.
The registry has been shut down. No further information is being provided about how/if you can access your registry.
Things are starting to get dicey with anything other than regular payments (cash, and credit cards), and gift cards, which will continue to be accepted through 4/21/2018.
- Endless earnings, in the form of e-gift cards, will be accepted through 4/21/2018.
- Loyalty rewards will no longer be accepted, as of 3/22/2018.
- Coupons of any sort, including birthday club coupons, will no longer be accepted, as of 3/22/2018
- The price matching policy will no longer be honored
- You can still use your Toys ‘R’ Us credit cards for purchasing items, but there are no rewards or special discounts being honored for those purchases
The return policies have been clarified slightly.
- Per their FAQ page, products purchased from non-closing stores, and purchases made online, can be returned under normal return policies, until 4/21/2018
- Products purchased from closing stores, made at any time during this process, are no longer returnable
Orders that have already been placed should be delivered, though there are reports of some orders being very delayed. At this point, Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us is claiming all orders that have already been placed will be delivered at some point.
More information about other topics, including layaway and where to go if you have additional questions can be found here.
For a very limited time, you can trade in your Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us gift cards for a partial credit in the form of an e-gift card at Bed Bath and Beyond. This is helpful for those who don’t live near a brick and mortar store, and have a gift card they aren’t wanting to waste. This offer only runs until 4/5/2018, and more information can be found here.
What does this mean?
If you need baby gear, get ye to a Babies “R” Us! Sure, you roll the dice a little knowing if something goes wonky you won’t be able to return it, but now could also be a really good time to stock up on things you wouldn’t be returning anyway. Like bottles, or a 10 pack of white onesies that we all know are about to get tye-dyed with mustard yellow milk-poop stains.