My name is Amy Morrison and I’m the broad behind the burd.
In my former life, I was a creative director at an ad agency but decided to quit and go freelance as an art director/graphic designer in 2004.
My fella and I have two little boys (born in 2006 and 2008) that are the apples of my eye, the light of my life, and the pain in my ass. We love them more than bacon.
We live in Toronto in the semi-burbs with our cats, Theo and Cheeto.
Not enough you say?
Well, here are a couple of random details about me:
- I can guarantee everything I post on this site will have an error in it even though I read it 50 times.
- I think David Sedaris is the funniest person on the planet. I don’t ever want to meet him because I’d just start crying like a Justin Bieber fan and pass out in a puddle of my own urine – I can’t imagine that would make a very good impression.
- I have very eclectic taste in music. I listen to ABBA, Frank Zappa, The Mills Brothers, Tom Jones, AC/DC, The Housemartins, opera, R&B and everything in between.
- I’m not a big fan of chocolate. I know that makes me dead to some people.
- I’m painfully shy but compensate for it by pretending to be outgoing.
- Behind every picture in my house there are about four holes where I have previously hung it only to decide it was too high/low/dumb.
- I have a number of outfits in my summer wardrobe that are technically bathing suit cover-ups but I wear them as clothes.
- I really like bird watching and gardening so I should ease into old age quite seamlessly – coffee with dinner is only a matter of time.
- I don’t get poetry that doesn’t rhyme, jazz or long distance running no matter how hard I try or how many people tell me how wonderful it is.
- I have an irrational fear (yes, I’d say phobia) of heights and mascots. I would be screwed if my only escape from the A&W Bear was up a ladder.
- I have an uncanny ability to identify dog breeds and I’m not sure where that came from.
- My most favorite sound in the world is the sound of my kids chewing.
- I address my children as Bug, Bear, Bobby Buttons, Mr Bojanggles, Buddy, Baboo and Snicky Snake and rarely by their names.
- I wish I could speak Chinese and play banjo. Nothing would be cooler than to scream “ni hao” then launch into a bluegrass lick.
- I am flabbergasted when I don’t win the lottery. I’m not sure if that’s optimism or stupidity, or both.
- If I’m going to be eating dinner alone I can almost guarantee I’ll have spaghetti.
- I keep the pictures people send me in Christmas cards.
- I’ve never left fries on my plate.
- I wish I could get a tan.
- I swear a lot.
- I used to model professionally in Ukraine but gave it up to pursue my love of civil war reenactment (I also lie when I’ve run out of things to tell you).
That’s how I roll, kid.