If you’re planning on having a vaginal birth chances are you’re going to want something to take care of the good china after you’ve had your baby.
Hospitals with often give you mesh underwear and/or maxi pads that look like something from a 1978 public health film, but there’s a great way to upgrades those thunderpads.
Yep, padsicles are a frozen treat for your sore exit and they are incredibly easy to make.
Here’s a quick video to show you how to make them:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Extra Heavy Over Night Pads – the bigger the better because there ain’t no party like thunderpad party. Try to get them without wings if you’re wearing mesh underwear or boyshorts because they just get in the way.
- Witch Hazel – skip the alcohol. Save booze for your face bits, not your lady bits
- Aloe Vera Gel – be sure it’s unscented and free from alcohol because that would probably jack up the sting factor
- Lavender Oil (optional) this helps speed healing and smells nice.
- Large Ziplock bags – to hold your pad stash in the freezer.
- Unfold your pad – if it has wings, remove the tabs but save them because you’ll need to put them back on
- Saturate the pad with the witch hazel – about three or four tablespoons so the pad is good and soaked
- Pump or spoon about two tablespoons of aloe onto the pad
- Add one or two drops of lavender oil (Feel free hum a Mary Poppins tune here)
- Use the back of a spoon to spread the aloe and lavender evenly over the pad
- Gently refold your pad (reuse your wing tabs so the whole thing doesn’t stick together)
- Put your pads in your Ziploc bag and pop it in the freezer
Once you’re ready to feel the ‘ah’, simply remove the pad from the freezer and let it thaw a bit (you want cold, not frozen because you don’t want to have to explain that kind of frostbite) and use it as you would a regular pad. These do get wet so consider sitting on a towel or in a place where you don’t mind leaving a bit of a puddle.
It sounds like 10 or 12 will get you through the storm, but they are pretty easy to make so feel free to just make a couple to see what you think.
If you’re lucky, someone will give you a set of these with a tub of ice-cream and a frozen lasagna. Chill, Mama!